⚠️ Content Advisory
This story contains mature themes and may not be suitable for younger or sensitive readers.
Chapter 1
When I Was A Slave
Lyra's POV
“Stay here for a while, okay, kids? I just need to buy a few things outside,” I told my children.
I’d run out of a few ingredients for the dish I was cooking.
I glanced at Rex, my eldest. He was already eight years old, sitting on the couch in front of the television. His attention shifted between the cartoon playing on the screen and his baby sister, Rhea, who had just turned one. She sat inside her playpen, happily entertaining herself with her toys.
A smile found its way to my lips.
Even at such a young age, Rex already knew how to be a good big brother.
“Yes, Mommy,” he answered obediently.
I grabbed my shopping bag. Our barangay was small, and the local market was only at the far end of the village.
“Keep an eye on your sister, Rex. If she gets hungry, her milk is on the table. Just pour it into her bottle.”
“Yes, Mommy.”
I looked at them one last time, as though I would be away for much longer than a few minutes.
My children were my entire world.
They were the reason I kept moving forward.
Finally, I stepped outside.
“Lock the door after me. Don’t open it for anyone unless it’s me.”
Rex answered with another obedient, “Yes, Mommy.”
I waited until I heard the lock click before walking away.
I wasn’t too worried about leaving them alone. Our barangay was tiny, and nearly everyone living nearby was either a relative or someone I’d known all my life. If either of my children cried out for help, someone would surely come running.
My husband, Lemuel, was working in the fields.
Farming was the primary livelihood in our village. He managed several coconut plantations, harvesting copra whenever the season allowed. On days when there wasn’t much work on the farm, he’d take on whatever odd jobs he could find around the village just to earn enough for our family.
Life wasn’t easy.
But as long as we had each other, we managed.
That’s why I insisted on helping with our expenses, even though he always told me I didn’t have to.
Every day, I cooked homemade dishes and snacks to sell. Most of them sold out before the day ended because people often said my cooking was delicious.
Cooking had always been my greatest passion.
It didn’t take long before I reached the marketplace.
I immediately bought the ingredients I needed for the coconut squash stew I planned to make, along with everything I needed to prepare turon for the afternoon. Thankfully, I already had enough ingredients for the rest of my food at home.
Once I finished shopping, I hurried back.
No matter how much I trusted my neighbors, I could never stay away from my children for too long.
I was simply too paranoid.
The village felt strangely quiet that day.
I didn’t know why, but something about the air felt... wrong.
Normally, even at noon, the streets were lively. Children would be running around, neighbors chatting outside their homes, motorcycles passing by.
Today...
Almost everyone seemed to be hiding indoors.
The streets were nearly empty.
As I turned the corner leading to our house, I finally saw it.
Our small but cozy home.
Built entirely from wood, with a roof woven from long coconut leaves.
It was tiny.
Simple.
But it was ours.
That’s when I noticed three men walking toward me.
A slight frown crossed my face.
I didn’t recognize any of them.
From the way they dressed to the confidence in their movements, they looked nothing like the people in our village.
My gaze instinctively settled on the man walking in front.
He possessed the strongest presence among them.
He wore nothing more than a lightweight sweatshirt with the sleeves casually rolled up to his elbows. The collar hung open just enough to reveal part of a tattoo stretching across his chest. Another tattoo wrapped around his left forearm, though I couldn’t make out its design.
As the distance between us disappeared, his features became clearer.
His eyes were breathtaking.
Framed by thick, dark lashes, they were unlike anything I’d ever seen before.
Green.
A deep, mesmerizing shade of emerald green.
I’d only ever seen eyes like that in movies.
His nose was sharp and perfectly sculpted, adorned with a tiny silver stud on the left side. His jawline was flawlessly defined, giving him an intimidating edge. Every time he clenched his teeth, the muscles in his jaw tightened beneath his skin.
He had a powerfully built body.
His broad shoulders strained against the fabric of his shirt, while his muscular arms looked strong enough to lift me with one hand.
He’s not Filipino.
That was the first thought that crossed my mind.
Everything about him—from his green eyes, light brown hair styled neatly with wax, expensive clothes, and confident stride—told me he wasn’t from here.
He looked like he’d stepped straight out of a Hollywood movie.
For reasons I couldn’t explain, my knees suddenly weakened.
So I quietly moved to the opposite side of the road, hoping to avoid passing too close to them.
Especially him.
“If we develop this city properly, we can make a fortune, Mr. Moreau,” the man walking beside him said in fluent English. “This place could open a lot of opportunities for us.”
My eyes flickered toward the man they had called Mr. Moreau.
So I was right.
He wasn’t Filipino.
I quickly looked away the moment I realized he had been staring at me the entire time.
A strange uneasiness settled deep inside my chest.
Something about him screamed danger.
I forced myself to ignore them and continued walking.
But before I could take another step—
A large hand suddenly wrapped around my wrist and gently pulled me backward.
Startled, I lost my balance.
Instead of falling onto the road...
I crashed straight into a solid chest.
My eyes widened.
I looked up, already prepared to yell at whoever had grabbed me.
Then I realized it was him.
Mr. Moreau.
One hand gripped my wrist while the other rested firmly against my back.
Our bodies were pressed uncomfortably close together.
I instinctively tried to pull away.
His grip only tightened.
“W-Wait! Let go—”
I gasped.
Without warning, he leaned closer.
Heat spread across my skin, sending chills racing down the back of my neck.
Oh my God...
What is he doing?
His face lowered toward my neck.
He inhaled slowly.
My body shivered when I felt his lips brush lightly against my skin... then against the curve beneath my ear. He didn’t seem to care that my skin was damp with sweat from the afternoon heat.
“Your name,” he said.
His voice was deep...
Rich.
Dangerously attractive.
My knees nearly gave out.
And for reasons I couldn’t understand, something fluttered low in my stomach.
No...
This is wrong.
Why am I reacting like this?
I understood what he was saying.
I just couldn’t tell whether he was asking... or giving me an order.
“L-Let me go...”
“Tell me your name.”
I swallowed hard.
We were standing in the middle of the road.
Thank goodness there wasn’t anyone around.
Otherwise, people might think I was having an affair in broad daylight.
I’m married.
“L-Lyra,” I finally whispered.
Then I shoved against his chest with all my strength.
This time, he released me.
“Lyra...” he repeated softly, as though savoring the sound of my name.
I frowned.
A crooked smile slowly spread across his lips.
It felt almost mocking.
No one had ever treated me like this before.
Without thinking, I raised my hand and slapped him across the face.
“You—”
I instinctively stepped back when the two men behind him suddenly moved.
Their hands immediately reached behind their backs as though they were about to draw weapons.
Before they could, the man simply raised one hand.
They instantly froze and stepped back.
“Pervert!” I snapped.
I bent down to pick up my shopping bag and umbrella, both of which I’d dropped earlier.
I shot him one last glare.
Yet instead of looking angry...
He stared at me with what looked almost like fascination.
I couldn’t believe someone like him actually existed.
Shaking my head, I turned and started walking away.
I hadn’t even taken two steps when a powerful arm suddenly wrapped around my waist.
My back collided against his hard chest.
His warm breath brushed against my ear.
“We’ll see each other again, Lyra.”
To be continued...
❤️ Enjoying the story?
If you're loving When I Was A Slave, don't forget to leave a comment and share your thoughts.
Your support helps me continue writing stories like this.

